- Seven-Card Stud Poker is a popular poker game played with two to eight players. All players place an ante on the table. The card room sets the ante amount. The cards are then dealt.
- Two face down (hole) cards and one face up card are dealt to each player by the Dealer. This is known as third street.
- The betting round begins with the player who has the lowest exposed card bringing in (making a forced bet), and continues around the table with players choosing to call, raise, or fold.
- After the first round of betting is fourth street. This is where one exposed card is dealt to each player. At this point each player has two hole cards and two face-up cards.
- Another round of betting begins, starting with the player with the best exposed hand.
- Another exposed card is dealt to each player, this being fifth street. Again the player with the best exposed hand begins the betting round. This is typically when the big bets are placed.
- Sixth Street commences with each player being dealt a face up card. Betting commences with the player with the best exposed hand.
- A final card is dealt face down (hole card) to each player. This is known as the river, or seventh street. The final round of betting begins by the player with the best exposed hand.
- The showdown begins where players show their best five-card hand. Players can use any of the seven cards (three in their hand and four on the table) to make their best hand. The player with the best poker hand of five cards is declared the winner and wins the pot!
A big pair in your first three cards is worth betting on, unless another player is betting aggressively on what seems to be a very good hand.
Fifth Street is a make-or-break point. As the bet amount doubles each round, ensure your hand can produce a win at the end of the game. This minimizes your loss.
It is advisable to fold if another players exposed cards beat your entire hand.